Simstopia
Hello and Welcome to Simstopia! Feel free to create an account, but if you already have one, welcome back.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Simstopia
Hello and Welcome to Simstopia! Feel free to create an account, but if you already have one, welcome back.
Simstopia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home

2 posters

Go down

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Empty Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home

Post by brunettesimgirl Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 pm

I decided to start up a new story. Been itching to do one again (my first was my legacy family, but I lost them because of my computer dying--my fault).

So here is a preview of my first chapter. It doesn't have a title yet. Sad

http://brunettesimgirlsimmies.blogspot.com/2013/01/chapter-1-preview.html

Henry worked as a junior copywriter at the local paper. It wasn't the greatest job, but it paid the bills. As he dragged his still tired ass back into his bedroom to dress he heard his cell phone ring from his bedroom. Searching for the phone was like searching for a needle in a haystack. Henry wasn't the neatest of people and his bedroom definitely showed how messy he could let his space get. "where is it?" he muttered as he pick up pants off the floor, then pulling back the comforter of his bed. The ringing stopped.

"Damn it." he said angrily to himself. He sat on the edge of his bed and looked the alarm clock, 7a.m. He wasn't scheduled to go into work for another hour, so it couldn't have been his boss
asking where he was. He didn't have many friends, actually, he didn't have any, so it wasn't anyone calling to check on him. The only person he could think could be calling him this early was his father, but even that was a far stretch. Henry and his father hadn't spoken since he was 18 years old when they got into a heated argument about what Henry was going to do with his life. The last time he saw his father was in the rear view mirror of his little Sloppy Jalopy as he sped out of his fathers driveway with everything he owned crammed into the back of the car.

A few moments later, his land-line rung. He looked in astonishment at the phone on the end table in the living room as if it was an unknown object to him. He walked over to it and picked up the receiver, looking at it, then finally, lifted it up to his ear.

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Screenshot-318_zps24e6070f

Last edited by brunettesimgirl on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Life of the Party August 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen July 2011 Forum Queen

http://brunettesimgirlsimmies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Empty Re: Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home

Post by annasommer Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:31 am

Hm...

Love it! Must check if I am already following your blog, Brun Smile
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Empty Re: Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home

Post by brunettesimgirl Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:55 am

Chapter 1-"Henry"

The morning started off with the sun streaming into Henry's small bedroom window. Trying to ignore the sun waking him up, Henry winced at the brightness he could see through his closed eyes. "I've got to get that blind fixed", he thought. He rolled over, back facing the sunlight and slowly opened his eyes. After what seemed like forever he got up, and proceeded through his small apartment to his bathroom to get ready for work.

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Screenshot-317

Henry worked as a junior copywriter at the local paper. It wasn't the greatest job, but it paid the bills. As he dragged his still tired ass back into his bedroom to dress he heard his cell phone ring from his bedroom. Searching for the phone was like searching for a needle in a haystack. Henry wasn't the neatest of people and his bedroom definitely showed how messy he could let his space get. "where is it?" he muttered as he pick up pants off the floor, then pulling back the comforter of his bed. The ringing stopped.

"Damn it." he said angrily to himself. He sat on the edge of his bed and looked the alarm clock, 7a.m. He wasn't scheduled to go into work for another hour, so it couldn't have been his boss asking where he was. He didn't have many friends, actually, he didn't have any, so it wasn't anyone calling to check on him. The only person he could think could be calling him this early was his father, but even that was a far stretch. Henry and his father hadn't spoken since he was 18 years old when they got into a heated argument about what Henry was going to do with his life. The last time he saw his father was in the rear view mirror of his little Sloppy Jalopy as he sped out of his fathers driveway with everything he owned crammed into the back of the car.

A few moments later, his landline rung. He looked in astonishment at the phone on the end table in the living room as if it was an unknown object to him. He walked over to it and picked up the reciever, looking at it, then finally, lifted it up to his ear.

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Screenshot-318

"hello?"
"Hello," the voice on the other end said. It was a gruff voice of an older gentleman who had called. "May I speak to Mr. Henry Banks?"
"Speaking."
"Mr. Banks, I'm Mr. Tumwater. I am your father's lawyer,"
"You have the wrong number, Mr. Tumwater, my father is not at this number and I cannot help you with getting in contact with him." Henry said ready to hang up.
"No, no...I am aware this is not Sr. Banks' number, I am contacting you, Mr. Banks,"
"Call me Henry. I don't like to be called Mr. Banks."
"Alright, Henry. I'm calling because I have some," there was a pause from Mr. Tumwater, and Henry suddenly felt wide awake. He realized why Mr. Tumwater was contacting him, his father had passed away. "distressing news about your father."
"You don't need to go on."
"I'm sorry?"
"I know why you're calling. My father has died, correct?" Henry said into the receiver, but there was no answer. "Are you still there?"
"Yes, I'm sorry,"
"No need to be sorry. So is that it, then?"
"Well, not exactly. As I stated earlier, I am your fathers lawyer and I have his will here that I need to go over with you."
"With me?" Henry was surprised.
"Well, yes. You are the only known living relative to Mr. Banks. Could you possibly come to my office this morning?"
"Um...I've got to go to work at 8 a.m., and work until 5 p.m."
"Oh. I'm afraid that's when my office closes as well. Can we arrange for another time, perhaps?"
"No. No, I'll call in and let them know I need time off today. I have some sick time I can use."
"Very well." Mr. Tumwater gave Henry the address to his office and bid him goodbye.
Henry called work and explained what had happened and that he needed to take the day off to get things taken care of. After the call to work, he jumped in the shower, threw on whatever clothes he could find that seemed the cleanest, and grabbing his keys, headed out to find Mr. Tumwaters office.

Mr. Tumwaters office was directly across Bridgeport's city hall, but that didn't mean it was easy to find it. Henry hated going into the heart of downtown Bridgeport and felt lucky when he found out he could do his job from home when he first started the newspaper. Finding a parking spot that wouldn't break his wallet was even tougher. Thirty minutes later he settled on a parking spot at a meter one block away from Mr. Tumwaters office. It was a nice sunny day, and normally would be a great day to skip work for a lesiure day, but today wasn't that day. He walked around a corner and came face to face with an impressively large hanging sign "Tumwater and Sons-Family Law". He went up the stairs and pulled open the large oak doors. Inside an older woman, short with tight curls asked if she could help him. When he told her who he was, there was a shout from the room behind her, "I got it Gretchen! I got it!". A short stout man in a very expensive suit came hurrying out. He was bald but not completely, and a scruffy grey beard that matched his remaining hair on his head. "Henry! I'm Mr. Tumwater. Glad you were able to make it today." he shook Henry's hand with a great deal of force and tension. Henry nodded, and followed Mr. Tumwater into his office.

The office was larger than it gave away from the reception area. Henry couldn't help think about the size and was pretty sure it was bigger than his whole apartment. Mr. Tumwater motioned to a expensive captains chair for Henry to sit in while he went around to the other side of his large oak desk.
""Let me just get out your fathers file here," he said as he pulled open one of the large oak drawers to the matching desk. "Here we go, 'Banks'. So, you are your fathers only living relative, so it shouldn't be a shock that he left you, well, pretty much everything he owned."
"The fact that I was ready to hang up on you thinking you were looking for my father, and that I was not willing to help you find him, should have been an indication that, yes, I am shocked he would leave me anything".
Mr.Tumwater was speechless at Henry's surliness towards his father.
"I do apologize " Mr. Tumwater said in a more gentler voice. Henry waved it off as if he were lightly swatting at an annoying fly. "Shall we proceed then?"
Henry simply nodded.

One hour later, Henry discovered he was left, as Mr.Tumwater stated, everything his father had in possession while he was living: his house that Henry and his parents lived in, his savings, car, and all the little knick-knacks he had around the house.
Henry was already at the door to leave when Mr. Tumwater stopped him.
"There is one more thing,"
Henry turned and saw him reaching into the inside breast pocket of his blazer and pull out a sealed envelope,
"there's this," he said.
"What is that?"
Mr. Tumwater handed over the envelope, and Henry saw that it was sealed with only his name on the front of it. Henry looked at Mr. Tumwater, but all he did was nod, smile and go back to his desk; an indication they were thoroughly done with their meeting. Henry started toward the door once again, when he turned, "What about the funeral?"
"No funeral. Your fathers wish was to be cremated, and that...has already been taken care of".
"Well, where are the ashes, then?" He was sure Mr. Tumwater could tell he really wasn't concerned, but more curious than anything.
"They were spread out...at sea, by me," he looked sternly at Henry, "his request. Good day, Mr. Banks".

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Envelope_zps08b3a382

Henry hurried to his car. He couldn't get the look, and the stern-ness in Mr. Tumwater's voice as he told him about his fathers ashes. He felt as if he was a child, again, being scolded for something he knew he shouldn't have done. But then he thought of the letter and that all went away. He was anxious to open the letter to see what it could possibly be in it. The whole walk back to the car, Henry thought of what his father could have possibly said to him in a letter, a sealed letter at that. Why didn't Mr. Tumwater just tell him what was in the envelope? Did he really not know, or did he know and just didn't want to spoil it for Henry? Or was it that he knew it was a nasty letter and didn't want the uncomfortable position of telling Henry what to expect?

He sat in his car staring at the envelope for a while. It had some weight to it, heavier than what you would expect an envelope with just one or two page letter. After what seemed like forever, he ripped the envelope open. Inside was a small piece paper with an address, '29 S. Falls Ave., Moonlight Falls'.
"what is this?" he asked himself.
He picked up the envelope that was on his lap and pulled out a shiny brass key.
Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Key+for+Henry
brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 am

Hm, blogspot won't let me comment today Mad

Ok, so... Moonlight falls? Nice. Very nice. Seems like Henry will learn some things about Daddy soon Cool
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Empty Capter 2--29 South Falls Avenue

Post by brunettesimgirl Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 pm

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures.

It was twenty-four hours since Henry Banks' visit with his fathers lawyer, Mr. Tumwater.  He had learned his father had passed away and left everything he owned to his only living relative, which was Henry.   This piece of information was shocking to him especially knowing how he left things with his father.  They hadn't spoken in over 10 years when he and Henry had gotten into an argument about what Henry was going to do with his life.  The last time he saw his father was in the rear-view mirror of his sloppy jalopy as he sped out of the driveway of his fathers house.  But Henry had done okay with his life.  He was a junior copywriter at the local newspaper just on the outskirts of Bridgeport, and hoped to someday become a senior copywriter someday, but for now he made a decent living.  He had food on his plate, clothes on his back and a roof over his head, but it was a lonely life for Henry. He would tell others, as well as himself, that he enjoyed his solitary life, and lived up to that by excluding himself from any social outings with others. But the truth was, that he didn't like going home to an empty, quiet home. He had been lonely for so long, that he had convinced himself that this was the way he preferred to live, but that couldn't have been further from the truth.

He explained to his boss what had happened and that he would need the next few days off so that he could go to Moonlight Falls to check out what this address was.  His boss, being the sympathetic person he was, told Henry to take as long as he needed and that his job would still be there, waiting for him, when he was ready to return to work.  After hanging up the phone, Henry called a travel agent to make arrangements for the trip.  He was surprised to hear that Moonlight Falls was not very far from Bridgeport, but was not going to be able to get there by car, he would have to fly.  This made him nervous since he had never been on a plane in his life, and thoughts of flying kept him awake for the good part of the night.

Not knowing how long he'd be in Moonlight Falls, or what the conditions were in Moonlight Falls, Henry packed every type of clothing he owned.  If you didn't know better, you would have thought he was moving.  His closet looked bare with only a few scrub shirts that he used as rags balled up in the corner. He made sure that everything was turned off, and locked down.  He told the doorman on the way out he would be away for a while and left an envelope for the owner containing his rent, which was due in a few days. He, and the doorman, then packed his bags into the trunk of the taxi.  He was off to the airport.

Check-in's, security checks, waiting...waiting...waiting....

The airport didn't seem all that grand, and Henry felt he spent most of his time waiting around.  The waiting started to annoy him when a young woman, with a tight bun on her head, picked up the phone and announced they were now boarding.  Standing up from his seat, Henry felt his legs buckle under him, and at that moment, he realized how nervous he really was to get on the plane.  A flight attendant helped him find his seat and secure his carry on bag in the overhead compartment.  The plane was small, and there wasn't many people heading to Moonlight Falls.  The takeoff was bumpy, and caused Henry to have horrible thoughts of the plane breaking down and crashing into the runway below them.  Once they were at their altitude, he relaxed a bit and realized he had been clenching the armrest with excessive force, he was also sweating profusely. The light came on that they were now free to roam about the cabin, and he got up and pulled his carry on down onto this lap, and pulled out a small pillow.  He fell asleep immediately.

"Sir?"

Henry grunted a little.

"Sir?"

He opened his eyes and saw a blurry image of the young woman from the airport leaned over him.

"Sir, we've landed."

He looked around and saw that the plane was at another airport.

"Is this Moonlight Falls?"

"Yes, sir. That is where you were heading, right?"

Henry nodded and went to stand up, but his lap belt held him down.

"We had to buckle you in during our descent.  We tried to wake you so you could do it, but you seemed pretty out."

"Thank you." Henry said as he undid the clasp and proceeded to stand up.

"Are you going to be alright? Do you need us to call someone to come and pick you up?" the young woman asked, concerned.

"No...no, I'll be alright."

She helped him off the plane and Henry headed further into the luggage carousal to retrieve his bags.  There seemed to be no one there, actually, there was hardly anyone, working or vistors, anywhere.  After retrieving his bags he headed to the doors leading to a few awaiting taxi's. The taxi drivers were bundled up, standing around laughing with one another while drinking hot drinks.  It took Henry a few moments to realize, it had recently snowed in Moonlight Falls.

"Shit..." He complained as he threw down his largest bag and proceeded to look for a heavy overcoat, or sweater.  After finding something he figured would do, he zipped up his bag and headed outside to the few awaiting taxi drivers.

"Any one of you available?"

An older man with a thick beard looked over at him.

"Yep.  Where you off to?"

Henry suddenly drew a blank, he couldn't seem to remember the address. Then, remembering he had the address tucked away in his wallet, he pulled it out and handed it to the man.

The man looked at it, and the smile he had on his face while talking to his taxi friends turned to a frown.

"This is way out.  Will cost you a lot to get there.  To save you some money you'd probably be better off renting a car." He said as he reached out to hand the paper back to Henry.

"Thank you, but I'm not familiar with this town, and I have no experience driving in snow."

They stared at each other.  The taxi man still had his arm outstretched with the address between his fingers.

"I have money." Henry stated. "Money is not an issue."

The man looked at the address again and then nodded, "very well, then. Let's get your bags in the trunk then shall we?" After helping the man get his bags in the trunk they were off.  It was already getting dark, but it was hard to tell with the sky grey.

"How long will it take for us to get there?" he asked the man.

"About 2 hours."

Henry groaned.

After what seemed like a very long two hour ride, the man spoke to Henry, "we're nearly there.  About 4 blocks away."

Henry looked out the window at the passing houses.  Most were small, some were large and grand.  As they seemed to get closer to his destination, he tried to guess which house would be the one the man would stop in front of.  All the houses he guessed at were small and simple, and each time he guessed he quickly found he was wrong as the car sped pass each one.

Then after going over a bridge, the car turned, "this is it.  Up here on the right." The man said.

As they came closer to the only house Henry could see to his right, he expected a smaller house to be just after the large house that was quickly coming up.  To his surprise there was no other houses past the large house. The taxi driver stopped directly in front of the house, and Henry sat in the backseat looking at the house from the window.  It wasn't until the man spoke that he realized his mouth was open.

"Let's get yer bags out, mmmkay?" The man said getting out and proceeding to the truck of the car. Henry snapped out of his gaze and, in one swift move, jumped out of the car.

"Wait, wait," he said heading to the back of the car, but not taking his gaze off the house. "there has to be a mistake?!"

The man stopped and looked at the house, then back at Henry, "29 South Falls Avenue?" Henry nodded.

"This is the place then, lad." The man said laughing.  He sighed patted Henry on the back and then got in his car and drove away.  It was as he pulled away that Henry remembered he hadn't paid the driver, "Wait!  Your fee!" He shouted at the driver as the car pulled away, but all the man did was wave out his window as he disappeared out of Henry's site.

Henry stood there staring at the house. 'Now what?' he thought. He looked around the area.  It was getting dark, and cold.  He grabbed his bags and slowly proceeded up the long driveway.  He kept thinking this had to be a mistake, and hoped whoever lived here would understand when he explained the misunderstanding since he was still convinced this was not the correct address.  As he got to the steps he looked again at the massive house, and realized there was not one single light on.

He cautiously walked up the steps to the front door, and decided it would be best to knock first.  He heard nothing and knocked again.  No sound.  He rummaged around in his pants pocket and pulled out the small, shiney brass key that had been enclosed in the envelope with the address.  He took a deep breath and inserted the key in the door's lock, then without much expectation, he went to turn the key. The door unlocked, and the door swung slowly, and silently open.   

brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 am

Hehe, love this...
although it makes me wonder how the cab driver knew Henry had a key. Seriously, if he had none, he might well have frozen to death on that doorstep... hmmm Cool
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by brunettesimgirl Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm

You could just see it as he just assumed that since he was taking him to a house, he either had a key or knew someone that lived there that would let him in. Wink

(the cab driver makes another appearance later on that will explain this... Wink )

I may add some pics to this story later today too.
brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Empty Chapter 3--Henry's "home"

Post by brunettesimgirl Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:25 pm

The taxi was gone, Henry was left alone standing in front of the impressively massive house.  He was sure it was a mistake that he was taken to this house.  He figured the best thing to do was to knock and ask whoever lived here if they could direct him to the correct addresss, but no one answered when he knocked.  He dug into his pocket and retrieved the key his father left him.  With a sigh, and hope no alarms would go off, he slipped the key into the keyhole and, turned the key.  To his shock, the door unlocked, and swung open slowly and silently.

Henry stood there, stunned. That didn't just happen...THAT didn't just happen! He thought over and over.  After a few moments of thoughts running through his mind that the owner was going to come running, any second, to the door, shouting at him 'what the hell do you think you're doing?!', he finally convinced himself that the key didn't actually work, and that the door must have been unlocked already or opened just a jar.  He closed the door and heard a click. He removed the key from the door and tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge.  The door had automatically locked when it closed. Shaking his head in disbelief he re-inserted the key, and turned.  And once again, the door swung open slowly and silently.  Again, he shook his head in disbelief, looked around him, and slowly yet cautiously, took a step inside with his luggage in tow.

The house was dark, and quiet.  It was so quiet, it was almost unsettling.  Henry looked around and saw that he was in a high ceiling foyer.  It was rapidly getting darker, but no lights, not even the porch lights,  were on.  Still convinced someone, anyone, was here, he mustered up the courage to speak.

"HELLO?" he shouted into the dark house, but there was no answer. There was absolutely no sound from the house what-so-ever.  No sound of anyone possibly up on the second floor, nothing.

He sighed, pulled out his cell phone and located Mr. Tumwaters number.

"Hello?" the gruff voice said.

"This is Henry....Banks..."

"Ah, Henry! Have you opened the envelope?"

"Yes, that's why I'm calling you, I think there was a mistake."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I'm at the house,"

"You are! How do you like it? Impressive isn't it?  Bet you didn't think your old man could pull something like that off, now did you?" Henry could hear the excitement in Mr. Tumwater's voice.

"You mean," he was suddenly confused, "you mean you KNEW what the envelope contained?!"

"Of course!  Your father and I were close buddy's, and as his lawyer I knew very intimate details".

"Why didn't you tell me when you gave me the envelope then?!"

"Because," there was a pause, a yawn, "I was instructed by your father not to tell you."

"What?! Why?"

"That, my dear boy, I do NOT know."

Henry was even more confused.  If Mr. Tumwater knew the intimate details of his fathers life, why wouldn't he know why he was left this house?

"Okay, well, I think there was a mistake."

"A mistake?"

"The house...this cannot be the right address!"

"Not the right address? You're at the house now, right. Did the key open the door?"
"Yes, but,"

"Then it's the right address!" Mr. Tumwater said laughing. "Look, do what you want with the house.  It's yours to do what you wish.  There was no mistake.  Now if you'll forgive me, it's very late here and I would like to go home for the night."

"Mmmhhhhhmmmm.  Thanks for your help.  Good-bye." And with that, Henry ended the call.  He  still had an unsure feeling about the house, especially that part that it was "his", but talking to Mr. Tumwater had put a little reassurance in him that no one was going to come bursting in yelling at Henry that he didn't belong here, but he still had an unsettling feeling.  He decided he couldn't stay in the foyer all night and went further into the house.  He reached the foot of the stairs and looked to his left.  The hall stretched a bit and it was dark.  He could see a room at the end of the hall on the left lit by the streetlight.  The dim street light allowed him to see that that end of the hall was unfinished and he could see the drywall.  He looked to his right.

The hall on the right stretched further, but with it getting dark it was hard to see what was down there. And Henry wasn't feeling courageous enough to go venture down there...not quite yet at least.

He decided to go into the room directly in front of him, which seemed to be the living room.  There was a new, large tv and nice furniture.  The room was lit a little more than the foyer or hallway because of all the windows in this room.

He took a few steps into the room and saw that it was a bit bigger than he thought it was from seeing it in the hall. He looked around and notice the room had 3 lights, and a fireplace.  He first went to the lamp on the end table.

He tried to switch it on, but nothing happened. He tried the other two lights, but again, no power.  He decided he would have to find the basement to see if the electrical box was sending power to the house.  If not, he would sleep on the couch with the fireplace going.

As he walked around in the dark, opening doors here and there, he realized there was no basement.

He let out a heavy sigh, he was going to have to look outside for the box.

Twenty minutes of walking around the house proved to be just as much of a let down as realizing there was no basement, and he went back into the house through the foyer.

"where the hell is the electrical box?!" Henry asked himself, getting angry.  It was getting darker, he was hungry and tired.  He wanted to be able to see what he was doing in the house, he wanted to be able to SEE the house! Just as he was about to give up for the night, he remembered seeing three garage doors when the taxi was pulling up.

"worth a shot, I guess." He said to no one but himself.  He looked down the dark hallway to his right.  He could barely make out the shape of a door at the far end.  He was sure that door went to the inside of the garage.  His heart was pounding, and he started breathing a little harder. Oh grow up!  Just go down there you big baby! And with that, he headed toward the door at the far end of the hall.

He pushed the door opened, and was greeted with cold air.  The door didn't lead into the garages, but did lead to a side entrance next to the garage doors.

He stood between the garage doors and decided to check the double garage first.  He was sure that was where the electrical box would be, in the larger garage.  He pushed the door up and peered inside.  There was nothing inside that indicated an electrical box. In fact, this was the cleanest garage he had ever seen, not even so much as a cobweb in there.  He closed the door and went to the single garage.  If this one didn't have the electrical box, he had no choice but to call the electrical company, and ask if someone could come out and help him find this box.  Then a thought came over him, what if his father died before getting the box installed? He pondered that thought for a moment before brushing it off.  Why would there be lamps in the house then?!  He hoped he was right thinking that his father DID get the electrical box installed before putting lamps in the house. He bent down and pushed the garage door open. Eureka! There was the electrical box.

Now to find out if it worked.  He stood in front of the box, and prayed, for the first time in his life, for the box to work.  He threw on the main switch, there was a click, then a pop.

And the house lit up in a blaze of light.  Henry was almost blinded by the light in the garage, but it was a welcomed sight for him.  

"Yes!"

Now that he had power, he wanted to take a look around the house.  But that was going to have to be put on hold as his stomach disagreed with him.  I should probably get food. He closed the garage door and headed back into the house. His first instinct was to raid the kitchen.  Obviously there would be nothing in the fridge, or if there was at the time that his father was alive, it's not longer good with the power not being on for as long as it was.  He searched the cuppards, but found that there was nothing. Now what? He didn't have any transportation, and knew of nothing of the area so he couldn't even go get food. I wonder if this place has a pizza place.   Now that he could see the interior, Mr. Tumwater was right, it was impressive, especially for a project his father did. The theme his father went with, for decorating, was a little old for Henry's taste, and he decided right then and there that if he kept the house, he would update the interior over time.  He located, and picked up, his phone on his luggage still in the foyer. He was about to dial when he stopped. He didn't know any numbers here.  The hunger pain was obstructing his ability to think straight.  He finally decided to call the operator.

"City and Place?" a woman's voice said.

"Uh...Moonlight Falls, a pizza place." Henry said to her.

"What location?"

"A pizza place." Henry said.

"I need a specific business name, sir."

"Oh, um, I'm sorry, I just moved here and don't know any specific places.  I just was hoping you could connect me to a local pizza place in Moonlight Falls."

"Oh, I see. Let me see what I can find."

Henry heard rapid typing from the operator as she looked for his location.

"I have one, the only one, place in Moonlight Falls.  Would you like me to connect you?"

"Yes, please."

"Okay, thank you for calling. Have a good evening, sir."

"you," but before Henry could say "too" and thank her for her help, he was disconnected from her and the other end was ringing to the pizza place she had found for him.

"Moonlight Tower Pizzeria, will this be pick up or delivery?" a young man's voice said quickly.

"Delivery."

"Could I get your name and address?"

"Name is Banks, address is 29 S. Falls Avenue." There was silence on the other end. "Hello? Are you still there?"

"Yes, I'm sorry.  I think I heard you wrong could you repeat the address again?"

"29 S. Falls Avenue" Henry said a little more slowly. There was a small gasp from the young man. "Is there a problem?"

"Uh, well, it's just that....that house is abandoned.  Has been for quite a while."

"And?"

"Well, I mean come on dude!  Is this a joke?" the young man said laughing nervously.
"No.  I just want a pizza."

"No really.  Who is this?  Is this Bryan? Because if it is, I'm going to kick your ass when I see you tomorrow at school.  These pranks aren't funny anymore."

"What the hell are you talking about, kid?" Again, silence.

"Look, we're really busy, and I just don't have time for pranks.  I got food to deliver and money to make!"

"Then take my order, and I'll give you money." Henry said mellowly. 

"*sigh* alright dude, but this time, you're paying for it.  I'm not going to fall for your 'This is old man Banks' bit again.  And don't think about jumping out of the bushes again when I get there."

"kid, your tip is quickly going down.  I want a pepperoni pizza, medium." Henry hung up before he could hear the price.  What the hell was that kid on? 

Twenty minutes later and still no pizza.  Henry went to the front door and saw a young man in a pizza uniform standing at the end of the driveway.  He looked terrified as Henry watched him through the window.  Seeing that the man wasn't going to walk up the driveway anytime soon, Henry, frustrated with this kid, threw on his coat and opened the door. 

"HELLO?!" Henry shouted to the kid. The kid snapped out of whatever daze he was in when he heard Henry's voice.  Henry waved him over, and the kid, still unsure, made his way up the driveway to Henry. "How long have you been standing there, kid?!" The kid didn't say anything. Henry looked at him sideways. "Geez, I couldn't get you to shut up on the phone.  What's wrong?  Cat got your tongue?"

"Sorry, dude.  I just wasn't," he trailed off gazing at the house.

"'You just wasn't' what?"

"I wasn't expecting anyone to be here, let alone see the house lit up like it is."

Henry grunted.  He didn't really want to talk. He was too hungry to want to hold a conversation, and chatting wasn't something he liked to do. "So how much do I owe you?"

"Oh, fifteen dollars and ninety seven cents," Henry opened his wallet and pulled out a twenty.

"look , dude, I'm sorry I busted your chops on the phone.  When you said 'Banks' and then your address, well...my friends...they liked to pull pranks on me saying they were this old geezer that used to live here.  Rumor has it he died in the house. So when I would get here with the pizza they would try to scare the shit out of me by using tricks of light to make it look like there were ghosts in the house. Bad luck on you that you share the same surname as that old ass."

Henry stopped and glared at the kid. "People have been in the house?"

"yeah," Henry didn't like hearing that.  Suddenly he became very protective of his, and his fathers house. "You mean, they broke in."

"Well, I don't know....maybe they had a key."
"How would they have a key?"

"Dude, what do you care?!"

Henry was suddenly furious with the thought that some kids were disrespecting his fathers house. "Because," he started, "old man Banks was my father.  This was his house, and now it's my house. So tell your friends," he continued as he grabbed a piece of paper out of his wallet, then snatched the kids pen as he scribbled on the paper, "they better not come around here again.  And if they have any doubt, you have them give me a call." Henry said, sternly, as he handed the kid the twenty and the piece of paper with his name and phone number on it, "you can keep the change."

"R-Really?!" the kid sounded surprised, "wow, you're much more generous than your father was."

Henry gave a nod and the kid left.  

The pizza was a bit cold, but that didn't bother Henry much.  He threw a few sliced on a plate, that he found in the cuppard, and then threw the plate into the microwave.  The remaining slices were put in the fridge.  Then, tired and extremely hungry, Henry headed back to the living room to eat and watch tv, and it was on the couch that he passed out on.

brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Capter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home Empty Chapter 3.5--Henry makes his "home", home

Post by brunettesimgirl Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Thump thump thump thump thump

Henry groaned in his sleep.

Thump thump thump thump thump

He opened his eyes slowly.  They focused on the fireplace that was now extinguished from last night. He didn't know what the time was, he couldn't make out the hands on the clock that sat on top of the fireplace mantel.  He sat up and rubbed his eyes.  It had stopped snowing and the sun had come out.

"I suppose I should take a look..." his thought was interrupted by the thumping he heard in his sleep.  Only now, it was clear that someone was knocking at the door. Henry got up and proceeded to the front.  As he came closer to the door he could see the head of a man with blonde hair and piercing eyes standing on the porch.  He was pretty unsettling looking, especially with those eyes, they almost seemed to glow, and Henry suddenly felt uncomfortable with the idea of opening the door.

With the door cracked open just enough to talk to the man, he asked him if he could help him.
"I'm looking for Henry Banks."
Henry didn't know what to make of the fact someone was looking for him, here, of all places especially since he hadn't been in the town for more than 12 hours.  He then had a sudden thought that this may be the father of one of the boys he had told the pizza kid to call if they had a problem with them staying away from the house.
"Who's asking?"
The man sighed a little, "I'm Jeff Monogan.  I was instructed to drop off a delivery for Henry Banks today."
Henry opened the door a little more and saw that the man was in a nice grey suit.  He was actually very well put together.
"A delivery?"
"Yes, sir."
"What kind of 'delivery'?" Henry was still a little cautious as he stepped out on the porch with Jeff and closed the door behind him. Jeff cleared his throat, "That," he said pointing to the driveway, "delivery."

Henry looked to his left and saw a silver SUV.
"What?" he asked Jeff.
"The vehicle.  I was instructed to deliver it to you today."
"By who?" At first Henry thought it would be Mr. Tumwater that had sent the delivery since he was the only one who knew Henry was here, and would be here, today.
"I was not told by whom," Jeff stated, "It's actually been at our garage for a while now, and we were instructed to come here on this day to deliver it to you."
"But," Henry tried to wrap around his head what Jeff had just said, "...how? What?"
"I just need you to sign this form so we can put it in our inventory that you have received the delivery."
Henry took the clipboard from Jeff and signed the paper while still glancing sideways at the SUV.
"I don't understand how you guys would know I was here today.  I just arrived here last night and I  just learned about this place a few days ago." He thought more, "you must have at least seen the person who left me this car, right?"

"No sir," Jeff went on, "we were actually notified of this delivery by mail months ago.  There was an anonymous letter sent to our lot with a check for the amount of this particular vehicle.  It stated you would be arriving in Moonlight Falls yesterday and we were instructed to deliver the vehicle to you today. This is all I know, sir."
Henry scratched his head.
"The vehicle is yours," he handed Henry the keys, "enjoy! And have a good day!" And with that Jeff headed to a second car that was waiting for him on the side of the road in front of Henry's house.  Henry went back in the house, threw on his coat and came back out half expecting the vehicle to be gone, but it wasn't.  There, directly in front of his porch stairs, sat the silver SUV shining in the sun. Henry was stunned by it and stood on the porch, for what seemed like hours, staring at his new toy.

How was it that the delivery men got a letter from an unknown person that knew Henry would be here months before Henry, himself, would know?

So many thoughts swirled his head, he could feel himself start to get a headache, and his stomach, once again, let him know it was time to get some food.

"Well, let's take her for a spin, I guess." he thought, "now that I've got wheels, I should get to know my way around since I'll probably be here a while."
The driveway was big enough that Henry was able to turn around near the garage doors.  He pulled out of his driveway and headed toward the big clock tower, which he assumed must be the heart of the town.  Hopefully, he would be able to find some shops to get necessities.

It was easy to get confused.  He was able to find the clock tower, that wasn't a problem, but there were no shops near it like he had hoped.  The town seemed deserted.  He looked at the clock on the SUV's dash, "10:30 A.M".  He drove some more before he finally saw what looked like a small grocery store.  Having almost passed it, he slammed on the brakes, but quickly found himself sliding sideways past the store.

"Shit!  Shiiiiiiiit!" 

The SUV stopped, facing in the direction Henry had just come from.  He was breathing heavily, and his grip on the steerwheel was so tight he could see his knuckles turning white.

"Let's not do that again," he said to himself, "mental note...vehicles cannot stop on the dime in snow." He gulped hard before taking his foot off the brake and gently applying pressure to the gas. He was thankful he hadn't crashed into a tree, a building, or heaven forebid, another person, but he was even more happy that there was no other cars on the road at the moment to beep at him to get his ass moving.  He crept up to the store, which was now on his right, and pulled in.  The parking lot was small, so small that it probably only accomodated four or five cars.  The owner also hadn't had the lot shoveled or plowed, so getting into a parking spot was a little bit of a challenge, but nothing like what he had just been through with trying to get the car to stop.  After shutting off the car, he hopped out and looked at the store.  The town, the store, everything was so quiet.  He hoped the store was open, or at least going to open soon.  As he walked to the door, he noticed lights on inside. He pulled the door and went inside.

Forty-five minutes later, Henry exited the shop with five bags of groceries.  The prices were so inexpensive, that he loaded up on everything he needed, and didn't break his bank account doing it. The place even had a small bistro inside where he had decided to get himself a latte and croissant before he started his grocery shopping.  The woman running the shop was a nice little lady, named June.  She was older, maybe in her sixties, and Henry found out that she had been running the shop for about 30 years.  Even though he wasn't the type to chat, he enjoyed talking with June.  When she learned he had just moved to Moonlight Falls, he was hesitant to mention his house, but him doing so didn't seem to phase June.  She just stated that that was a lovely house and asked more about himself. Henry had had such a great time at the shop, that he made her a promise he would stop in again within the next few days.  She had also told him where he could find some other shops and pointed him in the direction of the art museum.  

After finding his way home, and putting his groceries away, he ventured out to find the shops June had told him about.  With her written directions, it was much easier than just driving around and hoping to find something during his drive. He was also getting the hang of driving in snow. His first, and only, stop was a furniture shop that didn't look too promising from the outside.  But one step inside proved, to even the most skeptical person, that the store was huge. Two floors and it stretched very far back. Looking around, he noticed some of the furniture that was in the house.

"Welcome!"

Henry jumped a bit.  The sales man seemed to have come out of nowhere.

"uh, hi?" Henry finally said after catching his breath.

"Anything we can help you with?  We have some very nice pieces here."

"I see that. In fact, a lot of the furniture I see here is in my house."

"Wonderful!"

"Maybe to you," the man's bigger than life smile faded, "but it's not really my taste."

The salesman chuckled, "may I ask, then, why did you purchase it?"

"I didn't," Henry said glancing at a few things, "my father did when he lived there."

"Oh!" The smile was back, "I see!"

Henry glared at him.  This guy seemed to be way to happy for his taste.

"Listen," Henry said while rubbing his chin,"the stuff in the house is brand new, and as I stated, not really my taste. Any way I could return it and get store credit or trade it for something a bit more...up to date?"

"Up to date?  This is up to date!" The man said making a big gesture like a circus ring leader.

"hmmm," Henry thought for a moment, "what I mean, is, do you have anything modern, or contemporary?"

The man still smiling, shook his head no very quickly.  

"Okay.  Well, what about returning the items?"

"Do you have your delivery receipt?"

"Oh, uh, no..."

"Perhaps you are in our database, let's go take a look, shall we?" The man lead Henry over to a desk with a computer, "now I'll need the name that was used for the delivery, do you know that?"

"I should hope so.  It's 'Banks'".

The man's face dropped into a frown, "Banks,"

"That's right."

"Well, let's see what we can find, hmm?" the man said enthusiastically again. He typed quickly into the computer. "Here we are, 'Banks'.  29 South Falls Avenue?"

"Yes, that's the place."

"Are you sure you want to return those items?  I see your father had purchased...."

"Again, they were in his taste.  The house was recently left to me, and the furniture is not really what I want for furniture, so yes, I am sure I would like to have those items returned."

The man had Henry fill out a lot of paper work and mentioned that the delivery truck could be there this afternoon to pick up the items.  Henry thanked him and headed home.

While waiting for the delivery men, Henry decided to take a look on the second floor.  He quickly realized how unfinished the house was.  The hall on the second floor had been painted and flooring had been laid down, but there were doors missing to rooms, and he had no idea where each room was.  He was going to have to contact Mr. Tumwater and ask him if he knew where Henry could get in contact with the contractor.  He was about to head back downstairs when he noticed a door to the left. He was a bit shocked to see a door there since the rest of the hallway had none.  

Maybe it was because it was dark on that end of the hall, maybe it was because of the unknown behind the door, but whatever it was, it made Henry anxious.  He pulled himself together and walked over to the door and opened it.

A rush of cool air greeted his face.  He had found the master bedroom.  This room, like the others, was not of Henry's taste, but he liked it better than the others. He decided that he didn't want to send these items back.

As he looked around the room, he saw a walk-in closet, and a bathroom which was unfinished. He sighed at the thought of having another room he would need to finish, but at least the plumbing was already set up for him to use.

As he stood there, looking at the unfinished bathroom, he realized that he had unconsciously decided to stay in the house. He was removing the old furniture downstairs, and already planned to have it replaced with furniture that was more of his taste.  He took a breath and dialed the number he knew he HAD to dial.

brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 am

Nice one!

I guess it will be interesting what kind of furniture a single male chooses for his home. Frankly, most guys apartments I ever saw looked horrible, but somehow I think you won´t let that happen in your story Laughing
annasommer
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by brunettesimgirl Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Oh no, I wouldn't. Razz

It's taking me longer, though, to redecorate this house (and to get motivated to decorate the unfinished room(s)) so that I can move on to Chapter 4. Plus, my game has been acting up and CTD, so I have to find what is causing the crash. Sad
brunettesimgirl
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down